Live Remote Captioning
Live remote captioning allows listeners who are deaf or hard of hearing to access captions of speech in real time. It is the preferred for situations where 99% - 100% accuracy is required.
The captioner listens in on the meeting, usually re-speaking dialog into transcription software, such as Dragon Dictate. The captions are then edited and fed back to the meeting participant, via the meeting software and/or a web page.
There are a several captioning providers that will generate captions in real time for Zoom. The University usually uses Ai-Media for its live-remote captioning services.
Live remote captioning for education typically costs $200 per hour + GST.
The Federal Government will provide staff with up to $6000 per annum for live remote captioning via JobAccess. See Support & Contacts for more information.
Booking Zoom Captioning with Ai-Media
Zoom Meetings has the ability to integrate live remote captioning from a third party provider.
Step 1 - Enable Closed Captioning in Zoom
Only the Host of the Zoom meeting can schedule captioning.
- Go to the University's Zoom page
- Scroll down the page and click on 'Zoom account sign on (SSO)'
- Sign-in and then click on 'Settings' > 'In Meeting (Advanced)'
- Make sure that 'Closed Captioning' is checked
- Relaunch the Zoom app
Note: If you don't have access to the Closed Caption function, contact the Service Desk. Alternatively, Ai-Media can host the meeting and provide you with a link.
Step 2 - Create a Captioning Account
- Go to the Ai-Live and sign up for a captioning account
Step 3 - Book a Captioning Session
- Login to your Ai-Live account and click Book Now.
- Fill out the details for the booking including the fact that you would like the captions to be Zoom integrated and hosted by Ai-Media.
There may be situations where you have a number of meetings back to back. In that case, it is best to ask Ai-Media to set up a waiting room in Zoom, so that you can control entry into the session.
I wish to book Zoom-integrated live captions for a meeting hosted by Ai-Media and co-hosted by [Username] [username]@unimelb.edu.au. Students will attend in 30 minute intervals and so we would like them to enter a waiting room.
Step 4 - Booking Request
- After submitting your booking request, you will get an email message confirming that you have requested a booking. Note: this is not a confirmation that AI-Media will be able to provide captioning.
Step 5 - Booking Confirmation
- Once Ai-Media confirms that they have assigned a captioner, they will send through a booking confirmation with a Booking ID, e.g. AUCONV2610A. Use this Booking ID in further correspondence with Ai-Media.
Step 6 - Communicate the Booking Details
- Once Ai-Media confirms the booking, send an email to the people requesting the captions know that the booking has been successful. Tip: It is best to copy and paste the date and time from the Ai-Media confirmation email as a final check: Hi Steve and Ben,
I have booked live captioning with Ai-Media for next Wednesday 28/10, 08:00-9:00.
Step 7 - Provide Access Information
- Captioners need to be provided with:
- A link to the meeting, together with a password, so that they can access the meeting.
- An API key so that they can send captions back to Zoom. Note: API keys expire after 24 hours so it is best to provide the API key on the day of the event.
- Once you have gathered this information send an email to Ai-Media, quoting your booking number. For example: To: email@example.com
Subject: API token for meeting AUXXXXXXXXXX
The presenters for this afternoon’s event (AUXXXXXXXXXX) are:
Mary Filpott, Executive Director, Organsation X
Tony McNeil, Deputy Dean, Faculty of X
The API key is:
The Webinar link is:
The Webinar password is:
Step 8 - Show Captions
- Captions are controlled by individual meeting participants.
- Click on the CC button and then select 'Show Subtitle'
- Tip: It is a good idea for the meeting host to tell participants that live captioning is available.
Ai-Media can set rules whereby any sessions booked by an account are sent to a specific email address.
Alternatively, Ai-Media can invoice staff directly so that they can send invoices on to JobAccess.
- Ai-Media Zoom Setup Guide
- Getting started with Closed Captioning, Zoom
- Integrating a third-party close captioning service, Zoom
For assistance or to report accessibility problems please contact:
Web Accessibility Lead
Phone: +61 3 9035 4867