Using Email with Outlook
Last updated: 6/08/2020. Some students have advised us that, despite following the instructions below, they get an error after entering their username and password in Outlook. If you see a login error, we suggest that you reset your password as follows:
- Go to Student Account Management
- Provide your details and reset your password
- The change of password will update the password in your Gmail account
- Enter your username and new password into Outlook.
- You should now be able to access your Gmail account via Outlook.
If you are still having difficulty, please contact Student IT team via chat or by submitting an online ticket.
Student email is hosted on Gmail. Some users find Gmail difficult to use and prefer Microsoft Outlook. In order to use Outlook, you need to enable IMAP within Gmail and then connect to Gmail via Outlook.
Enabling IMAP access within Gmail
- Open a web browser.
- Login to the student portal.
- Click on New Emails.
- You should be taken to your Gmail account.
- If you aren’t taken straight to Gmail, you may see the word Continue. Click on it.
- Once you reach your Click account, click on the link or button labelled Settings.
- Select the tab called Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Change the IMAP status from Disable IMAP to Enable IMAP.
- Click on 'Save Changes'.
- Finally, because Gmail regards Outlook as a less secure application, we need to adjust our security settings.
- Click on your Google Account button, which is located at the top right of the page, after the apps and notifications buttons.
- Then click 'My Account'.
- A new tab will open. Under 'Sign-in & security', click on 'Connected apps & sites'.
- Scroll down to where it says 'Allow less secure apps' and click on the button to set it to 'ON'.
- That's it! Hopefully you won't have to use Gmail again.
Adding a Gmail Account in Outlook
For assistance or to report accessibility problems please contact:
Web Accessibility Lead
Phone: +61 3 9035 4867