Discovery Search Accessibility Statement
The University of Melbourne is committed to making is web presence accessible to the widest possible audience. We are actively working to ensure that our websites are accessible and usable by people of all abilities.
The University of Melbourne expects Discovery Search to be WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliant.
Library search interfaces are usually very feature rich and their complicated nature can prove challenging for all users.
It is highly recommended that all Library users, and users with disabilities in particular, attend a Library training course in order to be able to search effectively.
Discovery Search Keyboard shortcuts
Depending on your operating systems you will need to press Ctrl or Alt and 1, 2, or 3. The numbers permit you to do the following:
- Access key 1 – Skip Navigation to Result lists
- Access key 2 – Search
- Access key 3 – Main Navigation toolbar
Basic and Advanced Searching with JAWS 8.0
Move to Basic or Advanced Search
- Insert CTRL + Lto bring up a list of items on the screen.
- Use DOWN ARROW to reach the second item on the list which lists all sub-tabs, including Basic and Advanced Search.
- Use ENTER to select these tabs and then TAB once to move to Basic Search or TAB twice to move to Advanced Search.
- Use ENTER to select the Search Screen.
- Use ALT + 2 to move to the Find field.
Using the Advanced Search Screen with Guided-Style Fields
- Use INSERT + Z to alternate between your JAWS cursor and your regular cursor and enter your first keyword(s) or search term(s).
- Use TAB and then the DOWN or UP ARROW to select the field for that keyword combination.
- Use ENTER to run the search or, if desired, use TAB to move to the operator option for the second Find field.
- Use the UP or DOWN ARROW to select your Boolean operator (and / not / or). Use TAB to move to the second Find field and enter the second row of keywords or search terms.
- Use ENTER to run the search or, if desired, use TAB to move to the operator option for the third Find field.
- Use the UP or DOWN ARROW to select your Boolean operator (and / not / or).
- Use TAB to move to the third Find field and enter the second row of keywords or search terms.
- Use ENTER to run the search
Using the Search Limiters
- Use X to move to the first search limiter, and TAB to navigate through search limiters.
- Use the SPACEBAR to select a checkbox or the UP or DOWN ARROW to navigate through options on a combo box.
- Use ENTER to select an item in a combo box. Some limiters may require that you enter text, such as a journal name or publication year.
- Use ENTER at any time to run your search.
Note: Expanders may be available at the bottom of the page.
Finding Search Results with JAWS 8.0
Navigating the Result List
- Use to move to the first result on your Result List.
- Use INSERT + DOWN ARROW to read the article description.
- Use SHIFT + TAB to move back to the linked article title and ENTER to select it.
- Continue to press to move through each link and result on the result list.
- Use the SPACEBAR to select a result or link.
- Use SHIFT + TAB to move to the previous result or link.
Exploring the Citation
- Use INSERT + F7 to find out if PDF, HTML, or Linked Full Text is available.
- Use Enter to select this list of options from the list, and then TAB to move to the Full Text option and the SPACEBAR to open the Full Text.
- Use INSERT + CTRL + F to use the JAWS Find feature. Search for the word Title and use Enter to run the search.
- Use INSERT + DOWN to read the article citation.
Reading Full Text
- For HTML Full Text, use INSERT + DOWN ARROW to read the full text on the page.
- For PDF Full Text, Adobe recommends that the document be opened in Adobe Reader, rather than the browser.
- To read the full text use INSERT + Z to toggle the JAWS Virtual PC Cursor on and then use INSERT + DOWN ARROW to read the full text.
Searching and Browsing Publications with JAWS 8.0
- Use INSERT + F7 to generate a list of links on the page.
- Use the UP ARROW to the top of the list and then scroll down using DOWN ARROW until you reach the Publications option.
- Use ENTER to select Publications.
- Use ALT + 2 twice to move to the Browse Publications field.
- Use INSERT + Z to toggle your cursor for the ability to type.
- Type your journal name and use ENTER.
- Use INSERT + Z to toggle back to the JAWS cursor.
Use X to move to the check box next to the first result. Use the TAB key to navigate through check boxes and journal names. Use ENTER.
Use INSERT + F7 to generate a list of all links on the page. Scroll down past the alphabetical options using the DOWN ARROW. Use ENTER upon hearing the journal name to select the journal.
Journal Table of Contents Screen
- Click on INSERT + F7 to generate a list of links on the page.
- Select the year that you want and use ENTER or choose ACTIVATE LINK.
- You can now use the TAB key to scroll through issues and ENTER to select an issue.
- Discovery Search Home page : Replace page titles with wording that makes sense in context; create consistent use of the University of Melbourne banner and footer and link the logo to the home page
- Discovery Search Results : Add appropriate alternative text where required; replace title tags with wording appropriate in context; align search box to allow for consistent navigation
- Source IT menu page : Bypass blocks and page titles to be addressed
- Training: That students registered with the DLU be strongly encouraged to undertake training in relation to Discovery Search.
- User Testing : That User Testing of the Discovery Search by disabled users be undertaken during Semester 2, 2011.
If you experience a problem accessing this site, or you feel that there is information which should be included on this page, then please contact Andrew Normand, Web Accessibility Program Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This accessibility statement was issued 5 July 2011 by Andrew Normand, Web Accessibility Program Leader.
For assistance or to report accessibility problems please contact:
Web Accessibility Lead
Phone: +61 3 9035 4867