Getting started with Dragon Dictate
Dragon Dictate can assist people who are full of ideas, but have difficulty writing them down.
Here are 10 tips to help you get started.
1. Download Dragon
- If you are being supplied a version of Dragon by Disability Services, you will receive an email with a download link and licence key.
- If you are purchasing a copy of Dragon yourself, go to the list of countries and select Australia. Then click on 'Store' at the top of the page.
- Download the Dragon installation file. It's about 70MB in size.
2. Install Dragon
- Go to the directory where you downloaded Dragon.
- Click on it to start the installation process.
- You will need your licence key.
- If you get stuck, the following video might help.
3. Setup a headset microphone
- Adjust the headset.
- Wired headsets are recommended over bluetooth headsets.
4. Create a Profile
- Setting up a Profile will improve Dragon's accuracy.
5. Start using Dragon
- One of the best ways of learning Dragon is by watching someone else.
6. Get to know the DragonBar
- When it is running, Dragon displays a toolbar at the top of the screen. This is called the DragonBar.
- Dragons settings can be accessed using the DragonBar.
7. Learn about voice commands
- Dragon is controlled using voice commands.
- Try learning a few a time.
- A Dragon Command cheatsheet is available here.
8. Start practicing
- Try creating a Microsoft Word document.
- Try writing an email message.
9. Keep practicing
- Be patient.
- At first, Dragon will make things slower, rather than faster.
- Practice regularly.
- Set aside 30 minutes, twice a week, to practice.
10. Improve Dragon's accuracy
- Once you are familiar with using Dragon you will want to make it more accurate.
- Create custom word lists.
That's it! You should now be up and going with Dragon Dictate.