Types of projects we support
- Film and TV
All media requests to film or photograph at the University should contact the Media Office.
These requests include:
- Academic interviews for news items – print/TV/radio/online
- Research focused TV series/episodes/specials
- Media that involves factual, evidence-based University expertise and commentary
- Activities that involve promotion of academic, alumni, students and/or staff
- Arranging access to the University’s television and audio studios
Non-commercial filming and photography for personal use is permitted on campus provided your visit causes no disruption to staff and students.
If your project is, or has the potential to be, income generating, your work is not considered personal. Visit our How To page for more information.
We only accept shoots for commercial advertising projects if your project aligns with University strategic objectives and brand values.
The picturesque grounds of the University of Melbourne are an ideal and popular location for wedding photography. Interested parties should apply for a permit Fees apply.
The University has seven campus locations across Melbourne and rural Victoria. Each campus has a variety of unique architectural and landscape features and facilities. Our main campus at Parkville, established in 1860, features some of the most popular modern and historical locations for filming and photography.
Projects filmed at the University
This Image Gallery provides an overview of popular locations that are available at the University of Melbourne. The campus grounds and buildings are extensive. Additional photographs and other locations are available upon request.
Building Exteriors 1850-1900
Building Exteriors 1900-1950
Building Exteriors 1950-2000
Building Exteriors 2000-present
Building Interiors 1950-present
Museums & Galleries
Medical & Science Labs
Please follow the steps below to organise your filming or photography project at the University of Melbourne
1. Review the Filming & Photography Resources
To ensure you have an easy and efficient experience before, during and after your shoot, we want to provide you with as much information as possible.
Visit our Resources page for all the information you will need about using the University of Melbourne as a location for your production.
2. Contact us
Please contact us to discuss your project.
3. Gain script approval
Before you complete any paperwork or come on campus, please submit a copy of the final script or storyboard to email@example.com.
We will consider all requests, however your project may be declined if it:
- is of reputational risk to the University in terms of inappropriate, explicit or derogatory subject matter or themes, or denotes incorrect University endorsement of a company or product.
- will impact on the day to day functioning of the University.
4. Check suitable dates
When classes are in session, filming or photography is not allowed between 8am - 6pm weekdays (Monday – Friday).
Permission to shoot on a weekday may be granted on a case by case basis.
Contact us for more information, or view the University calendar.
5. Schedule a location visit
We have a range of locations available, from heritage listed buildings and gardens to contemporary architecture.
Once you have a list of potential dates and locations, please contact us to schedule an on-site visit with our Filming Coordinator.
During this visit, the Filming Coordinator will:
- show you around requested locations
- discuss shoot dates
- discuss fees and specific requirements.
6. Obtain an estimate of costs
Once you have a list of dates and locations, we will check availability and work with you to tailor an estimate based on your requirements.
The estimate will include a breakdown of location fees, additional venue charges, parking and security requirements and any other University staffing charges.
7. Submit application form
We can’t allow any shoot to begin, or any vehicle to enter campus until all paperwork has been finalised.
Prior to coming on campus, you must:
- complete and submit the Application Form
- approve the estimate in writing
- complete the Location Agreement
- provide all insurance documentation
- complete the compulsory online induction
- provide parking, traffic management & security plans
- comply with any additional requests from your Filming Coordinator
Please do not assume your request is approved until you have submitted and signed all required forms and are given written approval from the University.
8. What to do on the day
On the day of the shoot, direct all enquiries to your Filming Coordinator.
Your Filming Coordinator will be onsite to ensure adherence to University policies, respond to budgetary and contractual changes, and resolve any issues or concerns that may arise.
Your shoot will also be allocated an Onsite Support Officer who will provide building access and information on building operation systems. For certain locations, a venue representative may also be required.
9. Finalise payment
At the end of your shoot, your Filming Coordinator and a representative from your production company will walk the site and make note of the condition.
We will then send you a final invoice reflecting the detailed breakdown of the final charges within 30 days of your shoot.
Phone: 0406 036 283
About this Asset ID#1937693
- Status: Live
- Short name: Home
- Name: Home
- Metadata override page title: : Filming on Campus
- Description: page in the Filming on Campus site.
- Thumbnail: No thumbnail (Related Image)
- Banner: Live
Banner link opens in a new window
- [grant read] Public User (#7)
- [grant admin] Digital and Online Channels - Admin (#1392161)
- [grant admin] Filming on Campus - Editors (#1937726)
- Indexing setting: index_follow
- Created by: Rachid Annab on 2016-05-03 12:04:09
- Last published: Rachel Cummins on 2023-02-10 10:33:57
- Updated by: Rachel Cummins on 2023-02-10 10:33:57
- Template: template-header-image-dark
- Paint Layout: Page layout (1385754)
- Asset type: Standard Page
This page is in one location only.
- Parent asset ID#1937689 : Filming on Campus
- Run an outbound link check on this page
Can be very slow, but checks all links on this page.
- Site name: Filming on Campus (1937689)
- Requested by: Susannah Woodword firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maintained by: Rachel Cummins email@example.com
- Division: US External Relations (general)