Why we collect your personal information
University of Melbourne Advancement is collecting and processing your personal information to:
- process your gift or donation (if applicable)
- ensure your information is up to date in the University’s relationship management system
- tailor and send University communications about events, alumni benefits, donor relations and fundraising activities to you
- inform general business analysis, quality assurance, reporting and planning activities.
The “processing" of personal information refers to all activities relating to the management of your personal information, from its collection and use, through to its storage and disposal, and everything in between.
How we process your personal information
We will process your personal information as necessary for our legitimate interests, in accordance with applicable privacy laws, and only under the following circumstances:
- for the purpose for which it was collected; or
- a related purpose which you might reasonably expect; or
- where you have consented to the processing; or
- if we are required or permitted to do so by law.
We will collect your personal information directly from you wherever possible. Where this is not practicable, we may also collect information from public announcements, alumni and donor events, and public professional profiles such as LinkedIn.
We may share your personal information with:
- contracted service providers or partners engaged by us to perform legitimate functions on our behalf, such as those outlined in this privacy collection notice
- third parties engaged by the University to provide alumni, supporter and fundraising related services, such as banks, mailing houses, logistics, IT service providers, and social media platforms
- event venue providers and caterers
- your nominated financial institution and government departments such as the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) (where you make a gift or donation).
In some instances, your personal information may be transferred outside of Victoria or Australia (for example, where providers are located internationally or use a cloud-based system with servers based in international jurisdictions). We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the interstate or overseas transfer of personal information is in accordance with our privacy obligations as outlined in the University’s General Privacy Statement.
Further privacy information
- our lawful basis for processing personal information;
- collection, use and disclosure of personal information;
- accuracy, security and storage of personal information;
- retention and disposal of personal information;
- your individual rights; and
- applicable privacy laws.
You may request access to, or correction of, your personal information we hold, or exercise your individual rights as applicable under relevant privacy laws, unless this would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others or would contravene the University’s other legislative obligations. If the lawful collection of your personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of your information prior to you withdrawing your consent.
For further information you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.