The Trusts Group
The Trusts Group has been established within the Governance & Compliance to co-ordinate and oversee the management and administration of more than 800 charitable trusts of which the University is the trustee.
The Trusts Group can be contacted via telephone on (03) 8344 9830 and via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Trusts Group, comprised of Senior Lawyer - Trusts, a Trusts Officer (Compliance) and administration staff, is responsible for:
- providing legal advice to the University and its staff in relation to trusts;
- providing advice to Advancement staff at the University and supporting interactions with prospective donors in relation to gifts and bequests to the University, in particular gifts and bequests that establish trusts;
- preparing new University trust records and re-drafting or amending current University trust records with respect to trusts, for certification by the Special Counsel;
- preparing cy près applications to vary trust terms, where it is impossible or impracticable to perform the trust in the manner originally specified by the donor;
- overseeing the trust compliance reporting process, and reporting outcomes and significant issues to the Vice-Chancellor;
- reviewing trusts administration and management processes; and
- consulting with faculty and department groups and individuals, and providing general trusts-related advice as appropriate.