Equip yourself to tell compelling stories via screen-based media
Please note: This course is made up of four unique intakes priced at $1000 each. Learners are encouraged to register for all four intakes, for a total course cost of $4000. Discounts for alumni and staff are available. More information
Storytelling through screen-based media is a powerful means of communication. Already central to our personal lives, its readily accessible nature and broad reach means screen is increasingly important in our communities and workplaces, and an essential tool in advocacy, influence and action for both cohesion and change.
Based on contemporary approaches to storytelling and ‘new’ screen media, this highly interactive, online studio will equip you to develop compelling moving image projects and build your capacity to work with others toward a shared creative vision.
Taught by directing, production and creativity experts from the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, you will engage with a range of formats and scale, from a projection on a building to a wristwatch, being encouraged to view screen-media as limited only by your vision.
Reflecting current industry practices, you will act in multiple roles, including creative producer and director, learn about the roles and production processes unique to the genre, and collaborate with teams across Creative Arts Studios to develop a compelling screen-based project for a range of community and professional contexts.
The Screen Studies Studio is part of Creative Arts Studios – a year-long series of immersive short courses delivered over four learning periods.
Other Creative Arts Studios include:
Who should apply
This studio is ideal for anyone interested in creating compelling screen-based works or imparting their perspective and influencing others, whether in personal artistic projects or in community or professional settings. You could be exploring screen-driven narratives for the first time, or keen to enhance your skills. If you enjoy collaborating and sharing ideas in industry-facing settings, this course is for you.
What you will learn
Through a series of workshop exercises, you will learn a range of screen-based creative production skills, including ideation, directorial, crewing and production capabilities, find your own unique voice and directorial tone, and how to apply your skills to various contexts.
You will learn to manage multiple viewpoints, work in a range of roles, and understand the relationships and collaborative frameworks essential to bringing successful screen-based projects to fruition.
Each intake focuses on a different area of content. Key content areas include:
- Finding your story (s) – developing unique narratives and their primary purpose
- Critical analysis and ideas generation for developing a creative direction
- Roles and responsibilities essential to contemporary screen practice
- Analysing screen-based technical and collaborative crewing requirements to create project and technical plans, including scale and format.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and use screen-based knowledges, tools and skills appropriate to story
- Use critical judgments to curate ideas into a cohesive creative production plan
- Collaborate, navigate multiple perspectives, roles and relationships to enable a shared vision through inclusive directorial leadership
- Create creative and technical workplans for screen projects.
- This studio runs over one year, delivered in four intakes.
- Each intakes comprises eight, three-hour sessions. This amounts to 24 hours for each intake, or 96 hours over the entire year.
- Learners may register for individual intakes, but are encouraged to register for all four intakes.
Early bird discount is available for this course. Check the individual intake pages for information.
Please contact Student Support for the following discounts:
- University of Melbourne staff discount
- University of Melbourne alumni discount.
Wednesday 28 April 2021
Wednesday 21 July 2021
Wednesday 13 October 2021
Want to know about future intakes?
Register your details and we will email you about future dates.