Use new media with confidence to share ideas in new and powerful ways
Do you have a creative vision and enjoy using the latest technology? The use of ‘new’ media is increasingly important in our daily lives, community settings and workplaces, with new platforms and applications allowing us to communicate in powerful and meaningful ways.
In this studio you will take an in-depth look at a wide range of new media, technology and software used in contemporary arts practice, exploring more deeply those that align best to your artistic vision.
Led by creative-digital experts from the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music and delivered entirely online, you will learn to confidently use photography, video, projection mapping, light, photogrammetry and 3D modelling, and hot to use these various media to express and explore contemporary ideas.
In an immersive and interactive online environment, you will participate in tutor-led demonstrations learning the fundamentals of each medium and how they can be utilised in a creative process. You will also be given prompts to develop artwork that tests and expands your new skills, and to develop a compelling installation, exhibition, or performance-based project for a range of creative industry, community and professional contexts.
Reflecting current industry practices, you will act in multiple roles and collaborate across teams in the Creative Arts Studios, making the learning active and transformative.
The New Media Studio is part of Creative Arts Studios – a year-long series of immersive short courses delivered over four learning periods.
Other Creative Arts Studios include:
Who is it for?
This studio is for anyone interested in developing a new skill or honing an existing practice in the world of new media, designed to accommodate beginners through to more advanced practitioners. If you want to use new media to create compelling installations, exhibitions, or performance-based works, to help impart your perspective and influence others in unique ways, or simply explore new media and technology in a thoughtful and engaging environment alongside other like-minded individuals, this studio is for you.
What you will learn
Through a range of online workshops, tutorials and prompt-based projects relating to different media, you will learn new media skills, find your own unique creative style, and how to use these skills to alongside others and bring a successful exhibition, installation or performance projects using new media to fruition. You will also learn to manage multiple viewpoints while moderating your own and exhibit to a range of specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Key content areas include:
- Finding your creative ‘hand’ – developing unique new media skills and approaches and defining their primary performance purpose
- Roles and responsibilities essential to contemporary exhibition and installation and performance practices
- Analysing technical and contemporary approaches to new media for creative projects
- Collaborative creative performance projects working with others.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and use new media skills, programs and techniques appropriate to a range of scales and formats
- Understand the complex roles and collaborative responsibilities of exhibitions, installations and performances
- Select from a range of technical and contemporary knowledges to inform a memorable and meaningful new media practice
- Collaborate with others for compelling creative productions.
This wholly online studio runs over a year, delivered in four learning periods.
Each learning period comprises eight, three-hour sessions. This amounts to 24 hours for each learning period, or 96 hours over the entire year.
Upcoming dates for this course are yet to be announced.
Want to know about future sessions?
Register your details and we will email you about future intakes.