Discovering Horticulture will allow you to explore your passion for plants and get advice from expert horticulturalists.
If you're a budding gardener, this is the short course for you. Affectionately known as ‘Disco Hort’, this course is based at our Burnley Campus and has been running at the University of Melbourne for over two decades.
Situated in the historic Burnley Gardens, the Burnley campus is host to a remarkable plant collection and has provided international leadership in horticultural education and training for 125 years.
Over a series of 10 sessions, you’ll cover topics ranging from soil health, plant propagation, tree and shrub care, through to garden history and landscaping.
Discovering Horticulture runs twice a year on Tuesday evenings with courses commencing in either March or August.
Each session covers one topic:
- Attaining a healthy soil
- Plant identification
- Plant propagation
- Mulch, pots, water and nutrition
- Plant form and function
- Tree and shrub care
- Garden history
- Annuals, bulbs and perennials
- Plants for a dry garden.
You will cultivate your love for gardening and learn from expert horticulturists in this unique environment. There are no entry requirements for this course.
The Burnley Campus of the University of Melbourne has provided international leadership in horticultural education and training for more than 125 years. As part of the Faculty of Science, Burnley offers innovative courses and curricula to meet the changing and contemporary needs of the horticulture profession and community, and provides a remarkable plant collection in the gardens to support a unique learning experience.
- All short course attendees are provided with a certificate of attendance at the last session.
- If you are unable to attend a class, it is possible to make it up in the next course offered. However:
- This is limited to a maximum of 3 classes per participant
- The Propagation class is strictly capped at 40 students which means it may not be possible to offer a place to every student that misses out on this class
- If more than 3 classes are missed, $76.45 will be charged for each additional session attended.
Who should apply
If you are a budding horticulturist and garden lover, Discovering Horticulture is a must for you.
Academic and teaching team
Teaching staff are recognised experts in horticulture, landscape plants and garden management.
Upcoming dates for this course are yet to be announced.
Want to know about future intakes?
Register your details and we will email you about future dates.