Unsatisfactory Progress Appeals

Academic Progress Appeals

Schedule of Academic Board UP Appeal Hearings

Appealing a Decision Made by a Course Unsatisfactory Progress Committee (CUPC)

This information is for students whose enrolment has been terminated, suspended, or made subject to certain conditions, due to unsatisfactory academic progress and who wish to lodge an appeal against this decision.

Unsatisfactory progress matters are dealt with under the Academic Board Regulation and the Academic Progress Review Policy.

What does termination of enrolment mean?

Termination of enrolment means: forced cessation of study in a particular course for an indefinite period. In other words, a student whose enrolment is terminated is not permitted to continue their course.

Student Visa holders (international students) whose enrolment is terminated will be reported to the Australian Government Department of Education unless they lodge a successful appeal to the Academic Board or to the Ombudsman.

I want to appeal against the decision of the CUPC. How do I do that?

Please read and follow the instructions below carefully.

Step 1 - Obtain a copy of your CUPC report

You can obtain a copy of the report of your meeting with the CUPC by emailing the Academic Progress team (please provide name, student number, and course name). The CUPC report will provide a summary of the Progress Committee's considerations in making its decision.

Step 2 - Identify the grounds for your appeal

Appeals must be based on one or more of the following grounds:

  1. a procedural irregularity has occurred (which may include that the student has not received a fair hearing in all the circumstances);
  2. there is new information that could not reasonably have been provided at the time of the original decision, and that would probably have affected the decision or any penalty imposed;
  3. the decision was manifestly wrong, or not available in the circumstances; and/or
  4. the penalty imposed was manifestly excessive, harsh or inappropriate.

Step 3 - Draft a Letter of Appeal

If you believe that you have grounds for an appeal then write a letter which:

  1. states the grounds for your appeal as outlined above,
  2. includes as much information and detail as possible, and
  3. where appropriate, provides relevant evidence supporting the grounds on which you wish to appeal against the decision. Evidence may include documents such as medical certificates, letters of support, travel documents, insurance documents etc. Copies or translations of these documents must be certified.

We suggest that you use this template to help draft your Letter of Appeal.

Step 4 - Contact the Student Advocacy Service

The University has a single funded independent advocacy service, the Student Union Advocacy Service (SUAS), which is directly funded from the Student Services and Amenities Fee. The service is provided through the University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) and is available to all students: graduate and undergraduate, on or off the Parkville campus.

You are strongly advised to contact a student advocate as soon as possible.

Student Union Advocacy Service
T: +61 3 8344 6546
Web Enquiry Form

Step 5 - Submit your Letter of Appeal and supporting documents

Your Letter of Appeal must be submitted to the Academic Secretary within 20 working days of receiving notification of the CUPC decision. Your Letter of Appeal and supporting documents should be emailed to the Appeal Committee Secretary or sent/delivered to the following address:

Academic Secretary
Level 7, Raymond Priestley Building
University of Melbourne
VIC 3010

IMPORTANT: If your enrolment has been terminated you may continue to attend classes and submit the requisite assignments, with the permission of the enrolling faculty, until your appeal outcome is decided.

Step 6 - Attend the Appeal Hearing

If the Academic Secretary is satisfied that you have demonstrated grounds for appeal then an appeal hearing will be conducted by the Student Appeal Panel. The Student Appeal Panel secretary will notify you of the time, date and location of your appeal hearing. You may bring one person to support you at the hearing (however that person must not be a legal practitioner).

The hearing will last approximately 25 minutes. The Student Appeal Panel will comprised of three members of the Academic Board and at least one representative of your faculty or school. At the hearing you will be given the opportunity to present your appeal to the panel. The secretary will notify you of the appeal outcome within five business days.

For more information about the appeal process

For full details of the procedures for Appeals to the Academic Board refer to the Student Appeals to the Academic Board Policy. You can also contact the appeal secretary on (03) 9035 4424.

Enquiries may also be directed to the Academic Secretary.