Faculties are the primary academic bodies of the University, often comprising multiple schools, academic departments, centres or institutes.
Faculties develop their own structure and governance arrangements to suit their unique needs as permitted under Section 14 Council Regulation.
Section 14 provides five general criteria that must be fulfilled, and Governance arrangements are recommended to Council by the Governance and Nominations Committee of Council.
Structure and Governance of current University Faculties
University departments not controlled or hosted by a faculty are established for the purpose of organising non-academic activities of the University.
University departments not controlled or hosted by a Faculty established under Section 7(1)(b) of the Vice-Chancellor Regulation are governed under approved charters. Section 7(3) requires publication of the charters.
Melbourne Theatre Company is established by Council under section 16 Council Regulation.
Structure and governance of current University departments not controlled or hosted by a faculty
(NB: charters are currently under review)
List of Academic Units including Centres and Institutes
Under section 13(5) Council Regulation, the University Secretary is required to publish a list of all academic units.
- List of faculties, graduate schools, departments, schools and other academic units (except centres) (126.3 KB)
- List of Research Centres (255.3 KB)
- Charter of Australia India Institute (656.7 KB)
- Charter of Bio21 Molecular Science and Biotechnology Institute (117.8 KB)
- Charter of Nossal Institute for Global Health (114.2 KB
- Charter of Interdisciplinary Institutes (pending approval)