The things that make the University of Melbourne such an attractive place to study and work also make us a target for cybercrime. Our world-leading research, valuable intellectual property and the many personal and financial details the University holds make both individuals and the institution vulnerable to the impacts of cyberthreats.
Our Approach to Cybersecurity
The University is working to continuously evolve our cybersecurity capabilities to prevent, detect, disrupt and respond to existing and emerging cyberthreats. As a key centre for innovation within our community, the University pushes the boundaries of conventional use of technology but we do so with a focus on protecting our systems and information.
A cybersecure University of Melbourne is one where we’ve reduced our vulnerability to cyberthreats while balancing our need for openness, autonomy and collaboration. A risk-based approach to cybersecurity means we can better meet these needs while still managing our exposure to cybersecurity risk.
Student Cybersecurity quiz competition
Terms and Conditions
Schedule to the terms
Cybersecurity Quiz for Students
The University of Melbourne [ABN 84 002 705 224], of Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
3. Competition website (clause 1)
4. Time Zone
5. Competition Period (clause 4)
Competition Period commences: 9:00am on Monday 16 May 2022
Competition Period ends: 11:59pm on Thursday 26 May 2022
6. Entry Restrictions (clause 5)
- Eligibility: entry is only open to individuals who, during the Competition Period, are current students of The University of Melbourne.
- Ineligibility: employees of The University of Melbourne are not eligible to enter this Competition.
7. Entry Method (clause 6)
To enter the Competition, entrants must: take the Cybersecurity quiz that will be provided.
Each entrant may only enter the Competition once.
Maximum Number of Entries (clause 7)
There is no limit to the number of times that each entrant may enter the Competition.
Use of Personal Information(clause 9(d)
No additional purposes.
Privacy Laws (clause 9)
Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic)
12. Privacy Contact Details (clause 9)
The University of Melbourne
Department: Legal and Risk, University Services
Name: Privacy and Data Protection Officer
Telephone number: 13 63 52
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Content (clause 10)
Any materials submitted by an entrant via the Competition including but not limited to videos, photos, responses, written material, presentations, comments, recordings, images, and prototypes.
14. Use of Competition Entry (clause 11(b))
In addition to clause 11, each entrant licenses and grants the University and its affiliates a non-exclusive, fee-free, royalty-free, perpetual, world-wide, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce modify, adapt, publish and display their entry (including Content):
- for all the University’s ongoing promotional activities (such as regramming, advertising, marketing material, media releases, printed material, use on the University’s website and social media channels), and includes promotional purposes not related to this Competition;
15. Judging Details (clause 14)
GAME OF CHANCE
This is a game of chance. The Winner will be determined by a randomly selected prize draw. The prize draw will take place on Friday 27 May 2022 at The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010.
16. Winner(s) (clause 14)
Two Competition Winners
17. Prize (clause 15)
2 x Apple AirPods Pro headphones of equal value (AU$399)
18. Winner(s) Notification (clause 16)
Each Winner will be contacted in writing via their submitted contact details on 30 May 2022.
19. Claim Prize
Each Winner must contact the University by 3 June 2022 and:
- confirm their mailing address to receive the Prize; or
- collect the Prize in person by presenting proof of identity at an agreed time and location.
20. Replacement Winner(s) (if required)
The re-selection of the Winner(s) (if required) will take place in accordance with the same Judging Details as specified in item 15 of the Schedule on 14 June 2022.
21. Replacement Winner(s) Notification (if required) (clause 18)
Any Replacement Winner(s) will be contacted via their submitted contact details by 17 June 2022.
22. Replacement Winner(s) Claim Prize (if required) (clause 18)
Any Replacement Winner(s) must contact the University in accordance with the same Claim Prize requirements as specified in item 19 of the Schedule by 1 July, 2022.
- By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by the Terms of the Competition. The Terms governing the Competition include these General Terms, the Schedule to these Terms and any instructions relating to the Competition on the Competition Website. Only entries that comply with the Terms will be considered valid entries to this Competition.
- Any capitalised terms used in these General Terms have the meaning given in the Schedule, unless stated otherwise. In the event of any inconsistency between the Schedule to the Terms (Schedule) and these General Terms, the Schedule will take precedence.
- Time Zone. All times and dates in the Terms refer to the Time Zone in operation at the time of the Competition.
- Competition Period. The Competition will be conducted during the Competition Period. The University is not responsible for any entry that is not received by the University during the Competition Period, for whatever reason. Incomplete or indecipherable entries will not be accepted.
- Entry Restrictions. Eligibility to enter the Competition is subject to the Entry Restrictions. If entrants under the age of 18 are eligible to enter this Competition, they must have the consent of their parent or guardian to enter the Competition.
- Entry Method. To enter the Competition, entrants must enter the Competition in accordance with the Entry Method (and any other entry details provided by the University on the Competition Website) during the Competition Period. If entrants are required to enter the Competition via a social media platform, each entrant must have an applicable social media account set to public during the Competition Period and must comply with the relevant social media terms and conditions.
- Maximum Number of Entries. Entrants can enter the Competition up to the Maximum Number of Entries. Entries must be submitted separately and entry must individually meet the requirements in the Schedule and are subject to the Entry Restrictions.
- Each entrant is responsible for their own travel and other costs associated with entering the Competition.
- Use of Personal Information. By entering this Competition each entrant agrees that:
- Content. Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for any Content. The University is not liable in any way for such Content to the full extent permitted by law and may remove or decline to publish any Content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
(a) they will not submit any Content that is unlawful or fraudulent, or that the University may deem in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children under 14, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
(b) their Content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity;
(c) they will obtain prior consent from any person who, or from the owner(s) of any property that, appears in their Content;
(d) the Content is the original work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party or otherwise they will obtain full prior consent from any person who has jointly created or has any rights in the Content to the uses contemplated by these Terms, and the Content does not infringe the rights of any third party;
(e) they consent to any use of the Content which may otherwise infringe the Content creator’s/creators’ moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and warrant that they have the full authority to grant these rights; and
(f) they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others' computer or communication systems.
Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify the University for any breach of the above terms.
- Use of Competition Entry. As a condition of entering this Competition, each entrant licenses and grants the University and its affiliates a non-exclusive, fee-free, royalty-free, perpetual, world-wide, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use their entry (including Content) for:
- If this Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the University, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the University reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law:
(a) to disqualify any entrant; or
(b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as the University deems appropriate.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including any statutory consumer guarantees provided under the consumer protection laws of Australia, the University (including its respective officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence) for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition.
- Judging Details and Winner. The Winner will be determined from the valid Competition entries received by the University in accordance with the Judging Details.
- Prize. The Prize will be awarded as specified in the Schedule. The Prize values are the recommended retail value as provided by the relevant supplier, are in Australian dollars, are correct as at the time of the commencement of the Competition Period and are inclusive of all taxes. If the Prize is in the form of a gift voucher the Winner must comply with the gift voucher’s terms and conditions. The Winner must claim the Prize in accordance with Claim Prize. Please allow at least 28 days from the date of notification for the delivery of the Prize. Transport to claim the prize is not part of the prize and is the sole responsibility of the Winner. The Prize cannot be exchanged or redeemed for other goods, services, cash or credit. If, for some reason the Prize is unavailable, the University reserves the right to substitute the Prize for a prize of equal or greater value.
- Winner Notification. The Winner will be notified in accordance with Winner Notification. The Winner may also be announced in accordance with clause 9(b) above.
- Claim Prize. If the Winner does not comply with these Terms and/or does not claim the Prize in accordance with Claim Prize, the University reserves the right to select a replacement winner from the remaining valid entries in accordance with clause 14 above.
- Replacement Winner. If a winner re-selection is required, the selection of the replacement winner will be conducted by the University in accordance with Replacement Winner. The Replacement Winner will be notified in accordance with Replacement Winner Notification. The Replacement Winner may also be announced in accordance with clause 9(b) above. The Replacement Winner must claim the Prize in accordance with Replacement Winner Claim Prize.
- The entrants are not agents of The University of Melbourne and must not convey that impression to anyone.
- The result of the Competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.