If you are unwell or become unwell on campus

Please DO NOT COME TO CAMPUS if you have any of the following symptoms, however mild: fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose, loss or change in sense of taste or smell – even if you have a negative rapid antigen test result.

Follow Victorian Department of Health advice regarding testing and when to seek medical advice.

  • If you are unwell or develop symptoms on campus

    If you become unwell or develop COVID‑19 related symptoms while on campus you should:

    1. Leave the campus immediately. If you must use public transport, be sure to wear a face mask, practice excellent hand hygiene and cough/sneeze into a mask, tissue or your elbow.
    2. Seek medical advice and get tested for COVID‑19 and follow this guidance if you test positive.
    3. Notify your supervisor / subject coordinator and inform our Public Health Network.
    4. If you are having serious symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, call 000.

    Please do not return to campus while you have any symptoms, however mild.

    If your symptoms continue but you test negative for COVID-19, please seek a medical diagnosis that you are not infectious before returning to campus. We also recommend you obtain documentation to support this (eg medical certificate).

  • If you have recently recovered but have new symptoms

    If you have recently recovered from COVID-19 but you have any new symptoms consistent with COVID-19 at any time, including within the 28 day period after your isolation ends, you should get tested and:

    • If you test positive, follow guidance for COVID-positive people
    • stay away from campus until you are symptom-free regardless of your test result
  • COVID-19 or something else?

    The symptoms of hay fever, allergies and asthma can be similar to COVID-19 and other infectious illnesses, it can be difficult to tell the difference between them. It is important that you do not assume these symptoms are hay fever or asthma.

    If your symptoms are new or different than usual, or have restarted after a period of absence, or you are unsure whether they are due to your hay fever, allergies or asthma, test for COVID-19 to be sure.

    • If you receive a positive test result, follow advice for COVID-positive people.
    • If you test negative for COVID-19 but your symptoms continue, please do not attend campus until symptoms disappear or you have been diagnosed with something non-infectious. We also recommend you obtain documentation to support this (eg medical certificate).
  • Get support

    The University's Public Health Network has a rostered team to monitor reports of COVID-19 cases and contacts 7 days a week, providing timely responses to protect the health and wellbeing of our community.

    Notifying the Public Health Network means the University can support individuals who contract COVID‑19 by providing practical advice, links to University services, answering COVID‑19 related questions and assisting through the isolation process.

    The Public Health Network also facilitates contact tracing, provides relevant local and organisational level communication, and assists with mandatory reporting to the Department of Health.

    When collecting or sharing details of positive COVID‑19 test, remember that personal information should only be used or disclosed as required, and that only the minimum amount of personal information necessary to prevent or manage COVID‑19 should be collected, used or disclosed. A privacy collection notice is available.

  • Students – classes, extensions and Special Consideration

    Please follow our guidance for students about temporarily attending classes online, seeking extensions and Special Consideration if you need to isolate due to COVID-19.

  • Staff benefits

    Fixed-term and continuing staff who self-isolate due to testing positive for COVID-19, and are unable to work from home, will not be asked to use sick or personal leave, and will receive a payment equivalent to their salary for the duration of their isolation. The recommended isolation period is 5 days for general workers or 7 days for workers in sensitive settings. Please apply for Special Paid Leave (Quarantine) via Themis self-service in this situation.

    The University will also provide casual staff with a COVID-19 Special Payment, equivalent to the hours they were expected to work within the duration of their isolation if they become ill with COVID-19 or are a close contact, and are unable to work from home. Please follow these instructions to submit a casual timecard in this situation.

    Find out more on our dedicated COVID-19 page for staff.

  • Can I get a rapid antigen test on campus?

    Yes. The University is providing rapid antigen tests (RATs) for :

    • students and staff attending campus who wish to participate in a voluntary asymptomatic testing program for additional confidence and assurance
    • close contacts
    • individuals exposed to COVID-19 in a social setting (this includes in the workplace)

    There are distribution points on every campus.

    Please do not come to campus to collect a test if you are unwell. Please ask someone to collect a test from campus on your behalf or visit a Victorian Government testing site.

    Find your local campus collection point

  • Can I get a face mask on campus?

    Face masks are welcome in all settings for personal and community safety. They continue to be required or recommended in some settings. Follow this advice on how to use a mask effectively.

    The University continues to provide access to:

    • surgical masks in all teaching spaces for people who have forgotten or don’t have access to a mask
    • higher-grade P2 or equivalent masks via these collection points for: