If you are a contact of someone with COVID-19

You are a close contact if you have spent more than 4 hours with someone who has COVID-19 indoors in a residential setting, such as a house, accommodation or care facility.

You are a social contact if you have spent more than 15 minutes face-to-face with someone who has COVID-19, or more than 2 hours in the same indoor space, in non-residential settings (such as a workplace or restaurant).

  • If you are a close contact

    If you are a close contact you are encouraged to study or work from home, if you can, for 7 days. If you need to access campus during that time the following is strongly recommended:

    1. Monitor for symptoms and only attend campus if you are symptom-free
    2. Test regularly
    3. Wear a mask indoors on campus and whenever you cannot physically distance
    4. Do not visit sensitive settings specified by the Victorian Government or the University
    5. Follow any other advice from the Public Health Network.

    Students and staff who are close contacts can access RATs and P2 masks via existing distribution points if they are symptom-free.

    Due to the sensitive nature of the following settings, additional requirements apply for:

    • Student accommodation – residents classified as close contacts must notify their accommodation manager
    • Early childhood centres – close contacts must not attend for 7 days (position subject to review)

    Additional guidance for close contacts attending campus


    • Access to campus for close contacts should be limited to critical on-campus activities that can't be delayed or undertaken remotely, and would inhibit the delivery of teaching, research or other critical functions.
    • In the first instance, supervisors should work with staff to determine whether it is essential that the activity be completed on campus during the 7-day household contact period.
    • Consider whether delaying this activity, a temporary change in work patterns, additional management support and/or wellbeing services may allow the person to work from home.
    • If the activity absolutely must be done now, by this person, and there is no reasonable way to complete it remotely, the person may attend campus if they follow the steps above.


    • Students who are close contacts are encouraged to study from home, if they can, for 7 days. If they need to access campus during this time, they must follow the steps above.
    • Further guidance is available here about temporarily attending classes online, seeking extensions and Special Consideration if needed.
  • If you are a social contact
    • Please do not attend campus if you have any symptoms
    • Monitor for symptoms and test if symptoms develop

    If you receive a positive test result, follow advice for COVID-positive people.

    If you test negative for COVID-19 but your symptoms continue, please do not attend campus until symptoms disappear or you have been diagnosed with something non-infectious.

  • If you've been in the same class as someone with COVID-19

    The University's Public Health Network will notify students in the affected class through the LMS and list it on our cases on campus page.

  • If you are re-exposed to COVID-19 after recovering

    If you have recovered from COVID-19, you are not required to test or isolate if you are re-exposed to a case, or take part in an asymptomatic screening program, within 28 days of ending your isolation period. However, if you know you were exposed to a COVID-positive person, you should monitor for symptoms. If you have any new symptoms consistent with COVID-19 at any time, including within this 28 day period, you should get tested and:

    • if you test positive, follow guidance for COVID-positive people
    • stay away from campus until you are symptom-free, regardless of your test result

    After 28 days, you must follow the relevant advice depending on the type of contact you are (household contact, exposed person/social contact, etc).

    More information is available in the Victorian Government checklist for COVID cases.

  • Get support

    The University's Public Health Network has a rostered team to monitor reports of COVID-19 cases and contacts 7 days a week, providing timely responses to protect the health and wellbeing of our community.

    Notifying the Public Health Network means the University can support individuals who contract COVID‑19 by providing practical advice, links to University services, answering COVID‑19 related questions and assisting through the isolation process.

    The Public Health Network also facilitates contact tracing, provides relevant local and organisational level communication, and assists with mandatory reporting to the Department of Health.

    When collecting or sharing details of positive COVID‑19 test, remember that personal information should only be used or disclosed as required, and that only the minimum amount of personal information necessary to prevent or manage COVID‑19 should be collected, used or disclosed. A privacy collection notice is available.

  • Students – classes, extensions and Special Consideration

    Please follow our guidance for students about temporarily attending classes online, seeking extensions and Special Consideration if you need to isolate due to COVID-19.

  • Staff benefits

    Fixed-term and continuing staff who self-isolate due to testing positive for COVID-19, and are unable to work from home, will not be asked to use sick or personal leave, and will receive a payment equivalent to their salary for the duration of their isolation. The recommended isolation period is 5 days for general workers or 7 days for workers in sensitive settings. Please apply for Special Paid Leave (Quarantine) via Themis self-service in this situation.

    The University will also provide casual staff with a COVID-19 Special Payment, equivalent to the hours they were expected to work within the duration of their isolation if they become ill with COVID-19 or are a close contact, and are unable to work from home. Please follow these instructions to submit a casual timecard in this situation.

    Find out more on our dedicated COVID-19 page for staff.

  • Can I get a rapid antigen test on campus?

    Yes. The University is providing rapid antigen tests (RATs) for :

    • students and staff attending campus who wish to participate in a voluntary asymptomatic testing program for additional confidence and assurance
    • close contacts
    • individuals exposed to COVID-19 in a social setting (this includes in the workplace)

    There are distribution points on every campus.

    Please do not come to campus to collect a test if you are unwell. Please ask someone to collect a test from campus on your behalf or visit a Victorian Government testing site.

    Find your local campus collection point

  • Can I get a face mask on campus?

    Face masks are welcome in all settings for personal and community safety. They continue to be required or recommended in some settings. Follow this advice on how to use a mask effectively.

    The University continues to provide access to:

    • surgical masks in all teaching spaces for people who have forgotten or don’t have access to a mask
    • higher-grade P2 or equivalent masks via these collection points for: