The University is supporting our community by providing free COVID-19 rapid antigen tests for a range of purposes.
The University is providing rapid antigen tests (RATs) for:
- Exposed persons – as advised by our Public Health Network*
- Clearance testing for people who are required on campus following a household exposure – please contact our Public Health Network for further advice*
- Asymptomatic testing of students and staff in higher-risk settings as identified through local risk assessment
- Students and staff attending campus who wish to participate in a voluntary asymptomatic testing program for additional confidence and assurance
* Where possible, students and staff should source tests from Victorian Government distribution points for these purposes. However, they are welcome to collect tests on campus if they are unable to obtain a RAT elsewhere.
We also provided RATs to commencing students as part of our 2022 Melbourne Orientation activities for Semester 1 and 2.
Students concerned about attending campus due to personal circumstances (eg you are immunocompromised or have caring responsibilities for others who are), can also access P2 masks after registering with the University. Masks will be made available for collection at the distribution points below – noting you must show your confirmation email to receive P2 masks. Staff can also collect P2 masks at these distribution points by showing their staff ID card.
Performing the test
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific test kit.
Read taking the test for more information.
- If your RAT was negative, throw away all your kit components in your household rubbish bin.
- If your RAT was positive, place all the kit components into a separate bag, seal the bag and throw into the rubbish.
Reporting your result
If you receive a negative result but display symptoms, please do not attend any University location until your symptoms resolve and/or you have a diagnosis that is deemed non-infectious by a GP/specialist.
You do not need to report your result unless specifically requested by the Department of Health or our Public Health Network.
Positive test result
Please follow the guidance on our testing and isolation page, which includes:
- Isolate immediately, following the current Victorian Government guidelines.
- Report your result to the Department of Health online or call 1800 675 398.
- Notify the University's Public Health Network and follow any additional advice provided.
- Notify your course coordinator/supervisor (students) or supervisor (staff) and any household or social contacts.
- If you are on campus, leave campus immediately. If you must use public transport, be sure to wear a face mask, practice hand hygiene and cough/sneeze into a tissue or your elbow.
- Seek medical advice as required.
- If you are having serious symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, call 000.
Voluntary asymptomatic screening – program details
The University is providing access to free rapid antigen tests for students and staff attending campus as part of an asymptomatic screening program to support early detection and management of COVID‑19 across our community.
Students and staff attending campus are being supported to test twice a week, with rapid antigen tests available for collection from distribution points on every campus.
If you would like to participate please collect tests from your closest collection point.
- Victorian Government guidance on how and when to use a RAT
- Standard operating procedure – exposed persons
- Standard operating procedure – voluntary asymptomatic testing
- Further information for staff (staff login required)