Campus access questionnaire – privacy collection notice
The University of Melbourne is collecting your personal and health information (referred to collectively herein as ‘personal information’), with your consent, to:
- reduce the risk to your health, the health of your family and the health of the university community in relation to COVID-19;
- ensure that you have appropriately considered the risk of your potential for COVID-19 infection prior to attending at University of Melbourne workplace or campus; and
- to enable the University to meet its public health obligations.
You can contact us at:
- Contractors and others – 8344 0888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Melbourne staff – 834 40888 or email@example.com
- University of Melbourne students – 13 6352
In some instances, the University may share your personal information with relevant Government Departments or agencies to meet mandatory reporting obligations relating to public health. The personal information you provide may also be used in non-identifiable form to assist with the University’s internal and strategic planning, for example to provide support and health and wellbeing programs, and infrastructure and resources.
The University of Melbourne is governed by the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) when collecting and managing personal information. To the extent that they apply to our activities, the University is also subject to the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (together, ‘Privacy Laws’).
The information you provide will be collected lawfully and fairly and in a non-intrusive way. We will collect your personal information directly from you wherever possible. However, where this is not practicable, we may collect information you have provided through other avenues: for example, if you are a staff member, your Supervisor may request your consent to pass certain information about you to the University Health Services on your behalf; or, where you have previously provided personal information to the University as a staff member, student, contract or other person, this information may be accessed from University systems to confirm your identity and ensure your details are accurate and accord with any new information you provide.
Personal information that may be requested from you includes:
- your name and contact details;
- staff, student or contractor identification number;
- your faculty, department or employer;
- your current health condition;
- your recent past travel;
- your close contact and interactions with others.
Where you provide the University with the personal information of others (e.g. emergency contact details) you are advised to inform them that:
- you are disclosing that information to the University
- the information will be retained and used by the University in accordance with this notice; and
- that they can request access to that information by contacting the relevant contact above.
If you choose not to provide the information requested, the University may be unable to provide you with the advice or assistance you seek, and it may impact your ability to access facilities or services that you have requested, and limit other opportunities available to you.
The information will be used by authorised staff for the purpose for which it was collected. It will be subject to appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure it is accurate and complete and protected from accidental or unlawful destruction, misuse, loss, alteration, unauthorised access or disclosure.
The lawful basis for the University collecting and managing your personal information is with your consent and to enable us to continue to provide teaching, learning and research activities during a public health event such as that presented by COVID-19.
The University will only use or disclose your personal information for:
- the purpose for which it was collected;
- a directly related purpose which you might reasonably expect;
- with your further consent; or
- if we are required or permitted to do so by law.
Your personal information will only be retained for as long as required for the purpose it was collected, and in accordance with our legislative obligations and the University’s retention and disposal authority. It will not be transferred outside Australia unless to an entity operating under equivalent privacy obligations.
You may request access to, or correction of, information we hold about you, withdraw your consent to having your personal information processed for this specific purpose, or exercise other individual rights if applicable, by contacting the relevant contact point above.