Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences inducts new Fellows
The Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences has announced the election of 12 new Fellows from the University of Melbourne for their outstanding leadership and contributions to health and medical science in Australia, eight of whom are University alumni.
University of Melbourne Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry
and Health Sciences, Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Health), Professor Shitij Kapur
New Fellows were welcomed from around Australia, representing many disciplines within the health and medical sciences, including basic and clinical science, public health and health services, physicians, surgeons and allied health practitioners.
Their contributions were to a diverse range of clinical and research areas, including chronic and infectious diseases, mental health, neuroscience, medical physiology and cancer research.
University of Melbourne Dean of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences and Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Health) Professor Shitij Kapur congratulated the Fellows, University staff and staff from partner affiliates.
“It is an honour to work with such inspirational people within this University and with our partners.
“The new Fellows represent professionals who work in high-quality research and clinical practice, who demonstrate leadership and value partnerships,” Professor Kapur said.
“It matters to the community to offer solutions and the newly named Fellows are working to provide solutions every day.”
The new Fellows from the University of Melbourne are:
- Professor Mark Cook*: St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
- Professor Mark Dawson*: Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Professor John Furness*: The Florey Institute and University of Melbourne Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience
- Professor Dale Godfrey: The Doherty Institute
- Professor Patrick Kwan: University of Melbourne Chair of Neurology
- Associate Professor Sherene Loi*: Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
- Professor Alan Lopez: University of Melbourne
- Professor Patrick McGorry*: Orygen (The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health)
- Professor Stephen O’Leary*: The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Associate Professor Clare Scott*: Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor Andrew Scott: Austin Health
- Professor Cameron Simmons*: Peter Doherty Institute
*These Fellows are also University of Melbourne alumni.