Senior Management Portfolios
Staff Equity Group
View/Print PDF (10 KB)
The Provost is accountable to the Vice-Chancellor for strategic matters in the staff equity portfolio.
The Staff Equity Group provides advice to inform the decisions of the Provost on policy matters relating to staff equity, diversity and equal opportunity in the workplace.
Relationship to University Committees and Portfolio Heads
On advice from the Staff Equity Group, the Provost may refer issues which have significant policy, resource or academic implications to University committees, or to other portfolio heads for issues relevant to their portfolio.
The Provost may establish further advisory groups to provide information and recommendations to the Staff Equity Group.
Provost or nominee, Chair
Executive Director, Human Resources or nominee
Director, Wellbeing Services
The Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Officer
The Manager, Equity and Diversity
Two elected members, one by and from the academic staff and one by and from the professional staff
The Indigenous Employment Officer
Co-opted members as required and to ensure a balance of both gender and special needs, and to ensure that membership of the Advisory Group includes at least two members of staff with particular interest in the University’s childcare services
Terms of Reference
To provide advice and recommendations to the Provost on:
- The development of policies, programs and strategies that support staff equity and diversity.
- Compliance with the University’s related legislative and reporting requirements, including state and federal anti-discrimination, equal opportunity for women legislation.
- In consultation with the Student Equity Advisory Group, the development and regular review of a University-wide equity and diversity plan, and monitor and report on progress.
- Progress against targets in the equity and diversity plans of faculties, graduate schools and administrative budget divisions, with particular emphasis on staff.
- Progress towards staff equity and diversity goals and targets in the University’s Strategic and Operational Plans, and advice on measures to support their achievement.
- The development and implementation of the University’s Indigenous Employment Strategy and monitoring of performance against plan.
- Planning for the provision of child care for staff of the University and monitoring of performance against plan.
- Principles underlying the annual budget for child care, including use fee.
- Other matters relating to staff equity and diversity referred to it from time to time.
The Provost refers operational matters unable to be resolved at the portfolio level to Senior Executive, and provides a summary of decisions for the information of Senior Executive.
Decisions taken by the Provost, and other information of interest to the University community will be communicated to the relevant stakeholders via means appropriate to the audience.
Advice and recommendations of the Staff Equity Group will be shared with the Student Equity Advisory Group by means of joint meetings from time to time, and the sharing of agenda items and minutes of meetings.
On advice from the Staff Equity Group, the Provost provides an annual report on matters relating to staff equity, diversity and equal opportunity to Council through the Senior Executive.
9 December 2009