Senior Management Portfolios
Research Training Group
View/Print PDF (10 KB)
The Research Training Group (RTG) advises the Provost through the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research) on the management of the University’s research training. It serves as a forum through which the School of Graduate Research engages with faculties and graduate schools on strategy to strengthen research training outcomes.
Relationship to University Committees and Portfolio Heads
On advice from the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research) and RTG, the Provost may refer issues to University committees which have significant policy, resource or academic implications, or other portfolio heads for issues relevant to their portfolio.
The Provost may establish further advisory groups to provide information and recommendations to the RTG.
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research)
President of the Academic Board or nominee
Deans of faculties and graduate schools or nominee, being persons exercising leadership roles in relation to research training
Vice-Principal and Academic Registrar
A nominee of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research)
President, University of Melbourne Graduate Students Association or nominee
Co-opted members as required
Terms of Reference
- The group serves as a forum for promoting collaboration and coordination between the School of Graduate Research and faculties and graduate schools in relation to the management of the University’s research training activities.
- The group provides advice to the Provost via the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate Research) on strategies to enhance the University’s standing in relation to research training, including in relation to:
- increasing research higher degree enrolments
- strengthening the quality of the “Melbourne Experience” for research higher degree students
- improving research higher degree completion rates and times
- strengthening support for and capability of research high degree supervisors.
The Provost refers operational matters unable to be resolved at the portfolio level to Senior Executive, and provides a summary of decisions for the information of Senior Executive.
Decisions taken by the Provost, and other information of interest to the University community will be communicated to the relevant stakeholders via means appropriate to the audience.