What is TRIM?
TRIM (Tower Records & Information Management) is a leading Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS) software solution.
What is an EDRMS?
An EDRMS is an electronic document and records management system. An EDRMS can be a simple thing (e.g. an excel spreadsheet could be used to track and manage a simple set of records and documents) or an EDRMS can be a sophisticated system like TRIM (see above).
At the University of Melbourne, TRIM has been the preferred EDRMS solution for over 10 years. TRIM has been used within Central Records to manage the corporate records, including central correspondence files, legal agreements, etc, both paper and more recently, electronic records.
The benefits of using a sophisticated EDRMS solution to manage corporate records and documents at an enterprise level include:
- Controlled language for file titling (via use of the Enterprise Classification Scheme)
- Version control
- Ability to use metadata to describe the records
- Location information
- Ability to implement disposal and archiving functions
- Ability to share records/documents easily
- Sophisticated searching functions
- Audit function
- Sophisticated security and access controls
For more information about TRIM at the University, please click here: http://www.unimelb.edu.au/records/unimelb-only/trim/