Enterprise Classification Scheme
The functional classification thesaurus is a tool designed for use in classifying, titling and indexing business records of the university and its component parts. It records and standardises common language terms to be used for the description of business functions and activities performed by the university in order to provide a controlled vocabulary for records titling.
The classification may also be used to analyse desired recordkeeping outputs during the design of electronic business and information systems, and in the course of developing records disposal categories.
The Enterprise Classification Scheme is available here as an online database. It is also available as a set of folders that can be installed on a shared drive or as a set of folders that can be installed in your Outlook inbox.
Enterprise Classification Scheme for shared directories
To unzip, extract and install the ECS folders for the shared directory:
- Download the ECS folders for shared directories here.
- Save the ECS.zip file somewhere – i.e. to your desktop or on the shared drive.
- Right click on the file and select Extract All. The Extraction Wizard will open. Click Next to pass through the Welcome screen.
- Browse to the directory where you want the folders to be extracted to – this will be the uppermost level of your shared directory – and click Next.
- When the extraction is complete, click Finish to exit the Extraction Wizard.
Enterprise Classification Scheme for Outlook inbox
To install the ECS folders in Outlook:
- Download the ECS folders for Outlook here.
- Save the ECS.pst file somewhere – i.e. to your desktop or on the shared drive.
- Open Outlook (if it isn't open already).
- From the File Menu choose Open then Outlook Data File (i.e. File > Open > Outlook Data File).
- Navigate to the location that you saved the ECS.pst file to, select the file and click OK.
- In Outlook, you will now find the ECS folders at the bottom of the list of folders in Outlook. Click on the plus sign to expand the folders.
- The top level Function folders (containing the second level Activity folders) can now be dragged and dropped into your Inbox.
Please note that the online version of the ECS is not yet in the University template. We are experiencing technical difficulties with this and are working to get this fixed.