The University Executive is the University’s principal management committee. Its membership includes members of the Chancellery Executive, President of the Academic Board and Deans.
The committee is responsible for overseeing matters relating to University strategy. It oversees finalisation of the University’s strategic plan and preparation of the annual University budget. University Executive monitors divisional performance against plans and budgets, the University’s capital program and major projects.
Terms of Reference
University Executive (‘committee’) is the principal management committee of the University. It is established as a committee of ‘appropriately qualified members of staff’, as provided in Section 26(7)(b) of the University of Melbourne Act 2009 (Vic) (‘Act’) and as reiterated in Section 1.7.6(5)(b) of University Statute 1.7 – University Governance.
The committee comprises members of the Chancellery Executive, President of the Academic Board and Deans, and provides advice to the Vice-Chancellor in carrying out his responsibilities as Chief Executive Officer of the University.
University Executive provides advice on matters which influence the long-term direction of the University, in particular matters transcending one division and relating to whole-of-university and cross-faculty collaboration.
The committee exercises authority over certain matters delegated to it by the Vice-Chancellor, as provided in Section 26(7)(b) of the Act and as reiterated in Section 1.7.6(5)(b) of University Statute 1.7.
The activities of University Executive are reported, where appropriate, to Council through the Vice-Chancellor and to Academic Board through the President of the Academic Board.
Provision of advice
University Executive provides advice to the Vice-Chancellor on all matters related to the management and administration of the University, including but not limited to:
- University strategy, strategic plan and institutional performance;
- Divisional and faculty strategies, strategic plans and performance;
- The University’s planning, budget and reporting cycle;
- Strategic risk management;
- The University’s capital program and major projects;
- Major changes to the grouping of academic disciplines and divisional structures;
- The academic structure of the University; and
- Management policies, procedures and processes in areas including but not limited to:
- Learning and teaching, including the student experience;
- Research and research training;
- Administrative structures and functions; and
- University services
The committee has authority delegated to it by the Vice-Chancellor to do the following:
- Prepare an annual budget and forward estimates and recommend these to Finance Committee and, through Finance Committee, to Council;
- Approve the University’s student profile and set course fees;
- Approve the establishment and disestablishment of academic departments, schools (other than graduate schools), research centres for the purpose of organising the academic activities of the University's; and
- Approve other matters as agreed by the Vice-Chancellor and University Executive.
Membership of the University Executive comprises the senior academic and professional staff of the University.
- Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Deans of faculties
- DVC (Research)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International)
- the President of the Board
- the Senior Vice Principal
- Vice-Principal (Advancement)
- Vice-Principal (Engagement)
- Vice-Principal (Administration and Finance) and Chief Financial Officer
- Vice-Principal (Policy and Projects)
- Head of University Services
- Other officers and staff of the University are invited to attend meetings of the committee as required.
The University Secretary is the Executive Officer of the committee.
Dates for 2016
|Sunday 24 January||University Executive - Meeting #1|
|Wednesday 23 March||University Executive - Meeting #2|
|Wednesday 20 April||University Executive - Meeting #3|
|Wednesday 18 May||University Executive - Meeting #4|
|Wednesday 22 June||University Executive - Meeting #5|
|Wednesday 20 July||University Executive - Meeting #6|
|Wednesday 24 August||University Executive - Meeting #7|
|Wednesday 21 September||University Executive - Meeting #8|
|Wednesday 19 October||University Executive - Meeting #9|
|Thursday 17 November||University Executive - Meeting #10|
|Thursday 15 December||University Executive - Meeting #11|
* All University Executive meetings start at 8:30am on the date specified
The University Services Board (the Board) is a sub-committee of University Executive and is responsible for overseeing the services, fee structures and performance of the University Services Division.
The Board acts as an advisory group on major changes to University Services, portfolio initiatives and provides guidance in cases of competing priorities. It also provides advice to the University Executive.
The Board provides the link between the University Services Portfolio Buyers Committees and the University Executive. The Board plays an important role in overseeing the initial roll out of the shared services model in accordance with the approved design, and its progression into steady state.
Role and activities
The role of the Board is to exercise overall stewardship on behalf of University Executive of the shared services model. This involves monitoring the performance of the current model, approving the Documented Service Agreements and charges developed by the Portfolios for services and advising on key strategic issues that arise related to University Services. It will also be the forum through which any significant changes to the model itself are to be channelled.
The activities of University Services are reported to the University Executive.