Engineering - Architecture - Planning and Cartography
Includes 19th and 20th century material; seminal architectural texts; collections of major local architects and planners; original drawings, sketchbooks and scrapbooks; objects from the University's architectural atelier and theses. Pre-19th century material is housed with the Special Collections at the Baillieu Library.
Journey through the history of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. The collection includes photographs, certificates and historical literature, as well as electrical, electronic, telegraphic and radio equipment dating from the late 19th century to the present.
Comprises 15,000 culturally significant maps, mostly covering Melbourne, Victoria and Australia, located within the University's collection of 100,000 printed maps and aerial photos. Some 500 of the historic maps can be viewed online via the Collections website.
This small collection of machines and engines and approximately 2,000 technical drawings relates to the work of the engineer and inventor Anthony George Maldon Michell (1870-1959). The centrepiece is a crankless automobile engine manufactured in 1922, which is on long-term loan to the Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering.
Comprising approximately 4,000 individual prints and negatives, the collection is both an historic and ongoing record detailing aspects of the planning, construction, and maintenance of the University of Melbourne's buildings and grounds. For further information contact the Grounds Planner at the Property and Campus Services Department on (03) 8344 6000.
Includes examples of each type of instrument used for astronomical, angular and distance measurement by surveyors in Victoria, together with instruments used for the computation, plotting and presentation of survey data.
The University of Melbourne Archives includes the records of many architectural
firms and individual architects. Of particular interest to many
researchers are job files, specifications and plans and drawings relating
to Melbourne buildings. The collection of the early surveying firm, Mahlstedt's
Pty Ltd, holds some 200 block plans of buildings in the Melbourne city
area from 1877-1962.
Architectural plans and drawings are contained within certain other business collections, such as building firm Clements Langford Pty Ltd, retailing house Foy and Gibson, and some trade union bodies (e.g. Victorian Trades Hall Council). The main collections include: Bates, Smart & McCutcheon (including many University of Melbourne buildings), Peter Burrowes, J J & E J Clark, Leith & Bartlett (including drawings of Robert Haddon) James Earle partnerships, William Pitt, A W Purnell, Stephenson and Turner, University of Melbourne Staff Architects' office and Yuncken Freeman Associates.