Techniques for improving web site accessibility.
- Automatically updating content can be extremely distracting for users with attention difficulties. Users will often try and scroll page content in order to remove the animation from their field of view, or will try and look at something else in the room.
WCAG Success Criteria
- Bad - This page has a banner animation that updates automatically and cannot be paused
- Better - This page has a banner animation, but it can be paused
- Allow animations to be paused or stopped.
- Make sure that banner animations don't distract users from the key purpose of the page.
- Users are more likely to click on banner animations on content pages, rather than top level navigation pages.
For assistance please contact Andrew Normand, Web Accessibility Program Leader
Phone: +61 3 9035 4867