Statute 9.49 - Australian Antarctic Division
View/Print PDF (10 KB)
- By sub-section 18(3) of the Melbourne University Act 1958 power is conferred on the University to make and alter statutes for the affiliation with the University of any commercial, cultural, educational, sporting or other institution or body if-
- the affiliation would assist in attaining any of the objects of the University; and
- the governing body of the institution, organisation or body has consented to the affiliation.
- The Australian Antarctic Division of the Department of the Environment and Heritage ("the Antarctic Division"), a Department of the Commonwealth of Australia, has functions which include:
- conducting research in, and about, Antarctica, the Southern Ocean and the sub-Antarctic islands;
- administering the Australian Antarctic Territory, Heard Island, McDonald Island, and adjacent marine areas.
- By an Agreement dated 6 October 1999, the Antarctic Division and the University agreed to affiliation of the Antarctic Division with the University. This affiliation was renewed by an agreement dated 4 March 2005.
- The Antarctic Division has consented to the provisions of this statute.
Affiliation of the Antarctic Division-9.49.1 (1) of the University and the Antarctic Division are affiliated for the purposes of -
- promoting and assisting the teaching and supervision of students of the University and providing facilities therefor;
- promoting and encouraging appropriate research among such students and providing facilities therefor;
- promoting a co-operative effort between members of staff of the Antarctic Division and members of staff of the University towards teaching by the University and research in areas of common interest; and
- promoting and encouraging appropriate research between members of staff of the Antarctic Division and members of staff of the University and providing facilities therefor.
(2) Nothing in this statute requires the University to bear any part of the cost of the provision of facilities for teaching or research work at any of the Antarctic Division's premises.
(3) This affiliation ceases on the expiration or termination of the current agreement referred to in recital 3 or any extension thereof