Statute 9.41 - Australian Institute of Family Studies
View/Print PDF (50 KB)
- By section 18 of the Melbourne University Act 1958 power is conferred on the University to make and alter statutes for the affiliation to or connection with the University of any college or educational establishment subject to certain conditions set out in that section.
- The Australian Institute of Family Studies ("the Institute") was established on 29 February 1980 under Part XIVA of the Family Law Act 1975 and its objects include the following-
- to promote, by the conduct, encouragement and coordination of research and other appropriate means, the identification of, and development of understanding of, the factors affecting marital and family stability in Australia, with the object of promoting the protection of the family as the natural and fundamental group unit in society; and
- to advise and assist the Minister in relation to the making of grants, out of moneys available under appropriations made by the Parliament, for purposes related to the functions of the Institute and the supervising of the employment of grants so made.
- By an Agreement dated 19 December 1994 the Institute and the University have agreed to the affiliation of the Institute to the University.
- The Institute has consented to the provisions of this statute.
Affiliation of the Institute
9.41.1 (1) The Institute is an educational establishment affiliated to the University for the purposes of-
- promoting the teaching and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students of the University and providing facilities therefor;
- promoting and encouraging appropriate research amongst students and providing facilities therefor;
- promoting a co-operative effort between staff of the Institute and University staff towards teaching by the University and research in areas of common interest; and
- promoting and encouraging appropriate research between members of staff of the Institute and members of staff of the University and providing facilities therefor.
(2) Nothing in this statute requires the University to bear any part of the cost of the provision of facilities for teaching or research work at any of the Institute's premises.
(3) This affiliation ceases on the termination of the Agreement referred to in recital 3.