Statute 9.11 - The Graduate Union of The University of Melbourne Incorporated
View/Print PDF (37 KB)
- Under section 18 of the Act the Council has full power with the consent of the appropriate governing body to make and alter statutes for the affiliation to or connection with the University of any college or educational establishment provided always that such a statute does not affect the religious observances or regulations enforced in such colleges or educational establishments.
- The Graduate Union of the University of Melbourne Incorporated (herein referred to as "the Association") was incorporated under the provisions of the Associations Incorporation Act19811 on 12 June 1991.
- The objects of the Association are set out in its Statement of Purposes and include-
- promoting the welfare of the University;
- encouraging and assisting postgraduate studies and research in the University or in other teaching institutions recognised by the University; and
- fostering and maintaining academic, educational and cultural relations between graduates of universities.
- To achieve its objects the Association has established on land acquired for the purpose a collegiate centre providing residential and non-residential accommodation and educational, cultural and recreational facilities for graduates, diplomates, visiting scholars and other suitable persons.
- The conduct and management of the Association is vested in the Graduate Council.
- At the request of the Graduate Council of the Association the Council of the University on 1 April 1972 by statute recognised and acknowledged the Association as a college of graduates and granted it affiliation to the University.
- The Graduate Council has consented to alteration of the statute referred to in recital 6 (as amended from time to time) and to its re-making as follows:
Affiliation of the Graduate Union of the University of Melbourne
9.11.1 The Association is hereby affiliated to the University as a college of and within the University provided that-
- it continues to use the facilities of the collegiate centre established by the Association as a college for graduates and other persons who are members of the Association and who are undertaking courses or research connected with the University or with a teaching institution recognised by the University; and
- no person is permitted to enter into residence in any of the premises of the College unless the person-
- is a member of the Association; or
- is a graduate or diplomate of the University or of a teaching institution recognised by the University; or
- is undertaking a course of study or research at the University or the college or at a place appointed or approved for the purpose by the University or the college; or
- is a visiting academic to the University or to a teaching institution recognised by the University; or
- is the spouse or adult companion of any of the persons referred to in this paragraph.