Regulation 4.1.R1 – Academic Board Composition and Procedures
View/Print PDF (16 KB)
Constitution of the Board
1 The Board comprises-
- the Chancellor;
- the vice-chancellor;
- the deputy vice-chancellors (including any deputy vice-chancellor appointed as provost);
- the pro vice-chancellors;
- the senior vice-principal;
- the university librarian;
- the academic registrar;
- the university secretary;
- the professors;
- the full-time salaried professorial fellows;
- deans of faculties;
- heads of academic departments;
- heads of schools (including graduate schools);
- the president and one education officer of UMSU and the president of the GSA and one nominee of the president of the GSA;
- two members elected by and from the professional staff who will hold office for a term of two years; and
- any other persons whom the Board determines.
2 (1) The Board meets-
- when the Board considers a meeting is necessary for the conduct of business;
- when convened at the discretion of the president of the Board; or
- when requested by the Chancellor, the vice-chancellor or ten other members of the Board.
(2) A request under paragraph (1), must be made in writing to the academic secretary. (3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the Board must meet not less than once each semester.
3 Subject to the statutes, the quorum for any meeting of the Board is twelve members.
Presiding officer at meetings
4 (1) The president of the Board, by virtue of that office, or, in the absence of the president, the vice-president or, in the absence of the vice-president, the deputy vice-president or, in the absence of the deputy vice-president, another member elected by the members present, is to preside. (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the vice-chancellor may elect to preside at a meeting of the Board.
[Made by Council 12/7/10 – effective 29/9/10;]