Statute 9.5 - University College
View/Print PDF (8 KB)
- Under section 18 of the Act the Council has full power with the consent of the appropriate governing body to make and alter statutes for the affiliation to or connection with the University of any college or educational establishment provided always that such a statute does not affect the religious observances or regulations enforced in such colleges or educational establishments.
- On 20 September 1937 the Council by statute provided that a residential college for women (to be known as the University Women's College) should be a college of and within the University.
- The Carlton Land (University Women's College) Act 1974 revoked the Order-in-Council reserving the site for a residential college for women at the University and provided that the site be permanently reserved for a general residential college of the University.
- By statute dated 24 December 1975 (Governor's Paper 802) the name of the University Women's College was changed to University College.
- The governing body of University College has consented to alteration of the statute referred to in recital 2 (as amended from time to time) and to its re-making as follows:
Affiliation of University College
9.5.1 University College is hereby affiliated to the University provided that-
- it continues to be used as a college connected with the University; and
- no person is permitted to enter into residence as an enrolled student of the College unless he or she-
- is admitted as a student in a course at the University; or
- is engaged in research at the University or at the College; or
- is pursuing a course of study at a tertiary educational institution other than the University - provided that the number of resident students enrolled in the College under this sub-paragraph must not exceed fifteen per cent of the total number of resident students enrolled in the College.